Discord is VoIP, an instant messaging and digital distribution platform, that enables a user to communicate with other discord users over voice, video, or text. Moreover, like WhatsApp and Telegram, a user can share links, media files, documents, and much more. Generally, this app is used by gamers, who want to have a quick one-to-one chat with their friends and other gamers through Discord servers or private DMs. But what if you want to have a private group chat on Discord with your friends where no one can interfere? Can you group chat on Discord?
Well, let’s find out if we can have a group chat on Discord or not.
- 1 Can you group chat on Discord?
- 2 How to create a group chat on Discord?
- 3 How to customize the group chat on Discord?
- 4 How to remove someone from the group chat?
- 5 How to leave a group chat on Discord?
- 6 What are the different features available on Discord’s group chat?
- 7 Final Remarks
Can you group chat on Discord?
Indeed, you can group chat on Discord by creating a group using the “Group DM” or “Existing one-to-one DM” option, and then add a maximum of 9 discord users, which gets to 10 including you.
However, the “Group DM” and “Existing one-to-one DM” option allows you to add only those Discord members who are already on your friend list. Therefore, if you want to add someone to a group chat who is not on your friend list, then you first need to add that person as your Discord friend, and after that, you can proceed to the next segment where I will be giving you a step-by-step tutorial for your better understanding.
How to create a group chat on Discord?
As discussed above, a group chat on Discord can be created in two different ways; (1) Group DM, or (2) Existing one-to-one DM. And for that reason, I am dividing this step-by-step tutorial into two parts.
Using “Group DM” option:
- Open your Discord app.
- Then head to “Home.”
- Click on the “Friends” option.
- Now tap on the “New group DM” button.
- After that, select friends from the list (A maximum of 9 friends can be selected).
- Lastly, tap on the “Create Group DM button.”
- Done, the chat group will now appear in the “Direct Message” panel.
Note: Your friends need to accept the invite before starting a conversation inside the group.
Using existing “one-to-one DM” option:
- Open the Discord app.
- Then, open the DM of your friend.
- Now, click on the “Add friends to DM” icon located at the top bar.
- Select the friends that you wish to add to the DM group chat (Maximum 9 members).
- Lastly, click on the “Create Group DM” button.
Note: If you add your friends to the group chat using this method, you can directly start the conversation without any group invites.
How to customize the group chat on Discord?
After creating a Discord group, you can easily customize it as per your liking. For instance, you can rename it or change the icon of the group.
So, to start with, let’s see how we can rename the group chat.
Renaming the group chat on Discord:
- Open Discord.
- Now, find the group inside the “Direct Messages” section.
- Click to open it.
- Then click on “Group name” which is visible at the top bar.
- Type in the word or phrase of your choice.
- Lastly, press “Enter”, and done.
Changing the group icon on Discord:
- Open Discord.
- Right-click on the group from the “Direct Messages” section to open a menu of options.
- Now, click on the “Change icon” option.
- Select an image, and adjust it accordingly.
- After that, click on the “Apply” button.
- Done, you have successfully changed your Discord group chat icon.
How to remove someone from the group chat?
To remove an existing member from a group chat, you first need to be an admin or the creator of the chat group.
So, if you are an admin, then you can follow these simple steps to kick an existing member out of the group:
- Open Discord.
- Open the Group chat from the “Direct Messages” section.
- Now on the right side of the window, you will see a list of group members.
- Find the member that you want to remove, and then right-click on their name.
- Lastly, choose the “Remove from Group” option.
How to leave a group chat on Discord?
To leave a group chat on Discord, simply follow these steps:
- Open Discord.
- Now head towards the “Direct Message” section.
- Find the group that you want to leave.
- Then hover over it, to see the “x” button.
- Click on the “x.”
- A confirmation pop-up will appear.
- Lastly, click on “Leave Group.”
What are the different features available on Discord’s group chat?
By creating a group chat on Discord, you can easily stay connected with your homies and share your ideas with them.
However, Discord is not only limited to texting, but it also provides a user with a number of features to explore like;
Voice group call icon: If you are bored by typing messages inside the chatbox, then you can try initiating “Voice group calls” with the group members by using the “Start Voice Call” phone icon.
Video group call icon: You can start a group video call inside the chat group by using the “Start Video Call” icon.
Pin messages icon: Want to pin an entire or a specific part of the group conversation for future reference? Then use the “Pin” option that is available at the top bar of the new group.
Add friends to DM icon: If you or your friend wants to add more friends to your DM group, you can easily do it by clicking on the “Add friends to DM” icon, selecting the friends from the list, and then clicking on “Add.” However, if someone is not on Discord, then you can create and share an invite link with them.
Show members list icon: If you ever want to see who is on your group chat, then you can simply click on the “Show members list” icon, and it will show you the list of members instantly.
With the growing popularity of social media apps and instant messaging services, group chats are equally becoming a popular option to start a group conversation.
So, if you are a Discord user and want to start a group chat with your friends or family members, then simply use the “Group DM” or “Existing one-to-one DM” option to create and add your favorite Discord members inside the group.