Apple.Inc – one of the most renowned tech giant company released its first-ever wearable smartwatch in the year 2015, and after that, there was no looking back. If numbers are to be believed, then Apple’s smart wearables became one of the most loved smartwatches in the second quarter of 2015 with around 4.2 million successful sales. Moreover, this number raised to around 9.2 in the first quarter of 2022. Hence, proving its worth and craze to its customers. But, what if this worthy piece of tech gets misplaced or stolen with a dead battery? How to find a dead apple watch?
Well, let’s go through the process.
- 1 How to find a dead apple watch?
- 2 How to enable the “Find My” app on your iOS device?
- 3 Finding a dead apple watch: A Step-by-step tutorial.
- 4 The Easiest Way to Find your Dead Apple Watch
- 5 How to safeguard your Apple watch?
- 6 Frequently Asked Questions on Find My app:
- 6.1 What is the “Mark as Lost” option in the devices tab?
- 6.2 Can you find an Apple watch that is not dead?
- 6.3 What is the accuracy of the Find My Apple Watch feature?
- 6.4 What to do if your Apple device is not showing up on Find My App?
- 6.5 How long does a dead Apple watch take to turn on?
- 6.6 How can I figure out if my dead Apple watch is charging?
- 6.7 What to do if my Apple watch won’t turn on?
- 6.8 What is the green snake of death on an Apple watch?
- 7 Final Remarks on “How to find a dead Apple watch?”
How to find a dead apple watch?
To find a dead apple watch, you can use the “Find My app” that comes built-in with your Apple products, which helps you register your Apple products through your Apple ID, and then track them down instantly with a tap if any day it goes missing.
Although there is a catch, the “Find my” app doesn’t come pre-enabled on your device and has to be enabled manually by navigating to the settings menu.
So, if you are new to the process and have no idea how to enable the “Find My” app feature, then do follow this simple process.
How to enable the “Find My” app on your iOS device?
If you want to track down your lost Apple products, and in this case your Apple watch, then you need to enable the “Find My” app on your Apple account by;
- Go to the “Settings” menu on your iOS device.
- Now, tap on your name at the top of the screen.
- Then, tap on the “Find My” option.
- Now, you will be asked to turn on the “Share my Location” option, so enable it if you want to, or else ignore the message.
- Next, tap on the “Find My iPhone” toggle to turn it on, and then press “OK” to confirm the action.
- You must also make sure that you enable the “Offline Finding” feature, which will help you to track down your Apple devices, even if it is discharged or turned off.
- Lastly, enable the “Send Last Location” option and you are good to go.
“Find My” will now be enabled on all of your Apple devices that are linked with that particular Apple ID.
After you have enabled the “Find My” app on your device, it’s now time to initiate the tracking process, and for that just jump to the next segment.
Finding a dead apple watch: A Step-by-step tutorial.
Before jumping into the tutorial let me clear up one thing; you won’t be able to access the precise location of your dead apple watch, but instead, you will get the last known location where your Apple watch died (I mean battery dead).
So, you might or might not be able to get hold of your Apple watch again, depending upon the situation.
Now, you can proceed further and find your dead apple watch using these three simple methods:
#1. Using your iPad:
- Open “Find my” on your iPad.
- Then, hit the devices section.
- You will now see a map on your iPad screen, featuring all of the devices connected to the same Apple ID.
- Now, as your Apple watch is battery dead, it will show up on the map with a blank screen.
- Next, click on the Apple watch from the list to get a detailed view of the last known location.
- Lastly, just follow the directions as shown on the map to find your Apple watch.
You can also turn on the “Notify When Found” feature to send notifications and a location update to your iPad when someone turns on your Apple watch the next time.
#2. Using MacBook or Windows:
- Open the Safari browser on your MacBook or any browser on your Windows PC.
- Now, access iCloud.com’s “Find My” feature by logging into your iCloud account (especially for Windows devices).
- You will get a list of all devices connected to that particular Apple ID.
- Next, find your Apple watch from the list and tap on it to find the “Last Known Location.”
- Lastly, follow the directions, that are projected on the screen of a MacBook or Windows PC to find your Apple watch.
#3. Using your friend’s iPhone:
You can also use your friends or someone else’s iPhone to find your Apple watch, and to do that, just follow these simple steps:
- Borrow your friend or someone else’s iPhone or iPad.
- Now, navigate to the “Find My” app.
- Next, tap on the “Me” tab.
- Then, tap on the “Help a Friend” tab.
- After that, you will be asked to log in to your iCloud account, so select “Use Different Apple ID” and log in with the same account that was used to enable your “Find My” app.
- After a successful login, follow the instructions mentioned on the screen to find your dead Apple watch.
The Easiest Way to Find your Dead Apple Watch
Follow these steps
- Click on My Apple Watch App
- Click on “Your Name Apple Watch” Option
- Now Tap “i” icon
- Tap on Find my Apple watch
- Now Map will Locate Your Apple Watch
Note: We all certainly pair up our Apple smartwatch with our iPhone. So, when the Apple Watch gets misplaced without any juice, it is assumed by the “Find My” feature that it is at the same spot where your iPhone is placed. Thus, creating a whole lot of confusion for the user. Further mentioning, many users have also posted the same problem on Apple’s forum page.
Therefore, I have avoided mentioning using the iPhone as your search tool in the first place.
How to safeguard your Apple watch?
No doubt, a dead Apple watch can be found using the “Find My” feature, but it is still better that you safeguard your Apple watch by following the mentioned precautionary measures:
- Firstly, if you are not using your Apple watch, then store it up in a safe place like a drawer or a closet, so that chances of you losing this piece of gadget lowers down.
- Secondly, always strap up your Apple watch belt. Don’t wear it too loose that it falls off easily.
- Install a GPS tile on your Apple watch. A GPS tile is much more efficient than the “Find My” feature.
- Lastly, always enable the “Find My” feature for all of your Apple devices.
Frequently Asked Questions on Find My app:
What is the “Mark as Lost” option in the devices tab?
The “Mark as Lost” is an additional security feature that helps an Apple user to lock his/her device completely if they are not able to find it even with the “Find My” tracking feature.
When enabled, it will remotely lock your lost Apple device (in this case your Apple watch) with a custom-looking message that can be anything, but generally your contact number. Moreover, the person who has found it out, won’t be able to access the watch, thus becoming useless to him/her.
So, if you are on the verge of giving up, but don’t want anyone to access your Apple watch, then enable this feature by following these steps:
- Open “Find My” on your iPhone or iPad.
- Now, select your Apple watch from the list.
- Then, navigate to the “Mark as lost” section and select “Activate.”
- Next, hit the “Continue button.”
- Now, enter your phone number, so that the person that has your smartwatch can reach out to you.
- After that, write a simple message to display on your Apple watch screen.
- Lastly, tap on the “Activate” button and done.
Can you find an Apple watch that is not dead?
Well, if you have lost an Apple smartwatch that is not battery dead, then it gets much easier to track it down as it will send you a live location. Even with the help of the “Find My” feature you can ring your watch to track it down easily.
Sounds interesting, right?
Well, then give it a try by following the mentioned steps:
- Open the “Find My” app on your iPhone or iPad.
- Now, navigate to the devices section.
- You will now see your Apple Watch with a live screen on the app.
- Now, tap “Play Sound” to activate the ring feature.
- Lastly, follow the ringing sound, which is more like a chirping sound, which is hard to miss on the ears.
What is the accuracy of the Find My Apple Watch feature?
If your Apple Watch is within the 33-foot range, then the Find My feature will be able to track your Apple watch accurately.
What to do if your Apple device is not showing up on Find My App?
If your lost Apple device is not showing up on your Find My App, then you can run the following troubleshooting methods.
- Restart your phone:
Maybe there is a glitch in the Find My App, so to rectify it all you need to do is just restart your iPhone by holding down the power button and then tapping on the restart button.
- Initiate a force reboot:
A forced reboot and a simple restart are the same as they sound. Although there is a slight difference, a force restart will force all your apps to shut down abruptly, resulting in better results.
- Turn on Airplane Mode:
Find My App feature needs a stable running internet connection on your iPhone. But, if it doesn’t get it, then it might not function properly.
So, you can try enabling and disabling the Airplane Mode on your iPhone. By doing so you will temporarily get disconnected from the existing cellular tower, and connect to a closer one, which will fix the app not working error.
- Update your OS:
Lastly, the app might be facing this problem because of the outdated OS on your iPhone. So, it is better to update it by navigating to the Settings > General > Software Update.
But remember, updates might consume a heavy amount of data, therefore it is better to do it over an unlimited Wi-Fi connection.
How long does a dead Apple watch take to turn on?
A dead apple watch will take at least 2 hours to fully charge. But you might be able to turn it on after it gets sufficiently charged.
How can I figure out if my dead Apple watch is charging?
Two indications can help you figure out whether your Apple Watch is charging or not.
- The chime sound when plugged in.
- Charging symbol. (Red when it needs power & Green when it’s charging.)
What to do if my Apple watch won’t turn on?
If your Apple Watch won’t turn on even after a full charge, then probably you will need to initiate a hard reset.
Below is the step-by-step method for the same:
- Hold down the Digital Crown and side button simultaneously for about 15-20 seconds.
- When the Apple logo appears on the screen, release both the buttons.
- Your watch will restart itself after a short interval.
What is the green snake of death on an Apple watch?
The green snake of death on an Apple watch indicates that the watch is charging but doesn’t have enough juice to turn it on.
Although, many users have been facing this problem even when they have charged their device for more than 24 hours.
Final Remarks on “How to find a dead Apple watch?”
An Apple watch is a wonderful piece of tech that looks fabulous and works like charm compared to the other smart wearables. Moreover, it can be easily tracked down by using the Find My app feature when it goes battery dead.
So, if you are in a similar situation, and want to find your dead apple watch, then just follow this simple guide and get your smartwatch back within a few minutes.