Facebook has its own security measures to block out spammers or hackers from its platform. And frankly speaking, there are no negatives in doing so, because as a famous social media platform it should definitely care about its user’s privacy and data. But sometimes these very security measures can cause troubles like Facebook temporarily blocking you out of the platform due to security reasons, or by mistake. So, if this has happened to you, don’t worry, because many users around the world have reported the same problem, which even made them Google up this specific search query “Why is my Facebook account temporarily locked, and how to unlock it?”
Therefore, to help you with the same, I am going to discuss the reasons behind the temporary Facebook account lock, along with some solutions, that will help you in getting your Facebook account back in no time.
- 1 Why is my Facebook account temporarily locked?
- 2 How to Unlock my temporarily locked Facebook account?
- 3 Preventive measures that should be taken to avoid Facebook account temporarily locked error:
- 4 Frequently Asked Questions on Facebook:
- 5 Final Remarks on “Why is my Facebook account temporarily locked and how to unlock it?”
Why is my Facebook account temporarily locked?
If your Facebook account has been temporarily locked by the Facebook folks, then you might want to consider going through the following reasons to figure out what exactly happened in your case:
- Facebook detected suspicious activity.
- Facebook locked you out for security reasons.
- Violation of Facebook’s community guidelines.
- Facebook made a mistake.
Facebook detected suspicious activity:
Many times, we try to log in to our Facebook account from different location or device, which seems pretty normal to us, but for Facebook, it is a suspicious activity.
In another scenario, if someone tries to hack your Facebook account by fetching your login details using a different device or location, then that activity will be registered as suspicious, and Facebook will lock your account temporarily.
Facebook locked you out for security reasons:
Facebook is very strict regarding its security policy, and therefore when it detects that your account has been compromised, it instantly locks your account temporarily, until you throw some proof about your ownership.
For instance, if you randomly started entering your Facebook credentials on a dummy website, or try to link or log in with a third-party app, then Facebook will immediately lock your account until it is not verified by the owner.
Violation of Facebook’s community guidelines:
Like security policy, Facebook is also strict about its community guidelines. Therefore, if you are someone who is constantly breaking those rules and regulations created by Facebook, then my friend you can get permanently banned on Facebook.
Here is a list of few actions which fall under the violation of community guidelines:
- Using bots to increase engagement:
Using bots to increase engagement on Facebook is something that is not hidden from most of us. Many people, even big companies, use bots to automate their reach and likes.
But, after a few years, Facebook folks implemented a strict AI on their platform, which helped them to terminate those accounts which were using bots.
And therefore, if you are someone who is using bots to increase your online presence on Facebook, then I suggest you to abort this idea, or else your account might get locked permanently.
- Sending friend requests in bulk:
Similar to using bots for increasing engagement, people also use them for increasing their Facebook friends, which in fact is considered an “Abuse” to Add friend button.
Therefore, if you are sending friend requests in bulk, then there are high chances that your account might get frozen or locked out permanently.
- Constantly requesting recovery or authentication codes:
If your account is temporarily locked out, then you might try recovering it with the help of authentication codes. But if you are constantly requesting recovery or authentication codes, then Facebook will immediately consider it as suspicious activity and suspend your Facebook account.
- Joining groups in a short period of time:
Facebook group is a solid feature that helps a user to join a group that he/she can relate to. For example, there are many groups on Facebook which are specially created for people who are interested in Freelancing or Jobs.
However, if you are planning to join different groups in just a short span of time, then this might call out for a temporary Facebook account lock.
- Increased posting activity:
When someone who is not posting anything on Facebook, suddenly starts posting maximum stuff, then Facebook considers it as Spam and locks the account right away.
- Faking identity:
Facebook has around 2.91 billion monthly active users, but there are many Facebook accounts out there which are either fake or impersonating someone.
Thus, to remove or lock these types of accounts from its server, Facebook carries out regular scans.
- Spam advertising:
Many advertising agencies are using Facebook as their go-to platform to promote their products and services, which again falls under the category of fair use, until and unless someone starts to spam other users with ads and videos.
- Bulk reporting:
Have you ever tried to spam someone with friend requests or page invites?
Then, it is high time that you stop these spammy activities, because if a group of people reports your Facebook account, then it will get temporary or permanently locked, depending on the severity of your crime.
- Posting or commenting on something that is unhealthy:
Facebook has its own set of rules when it comes to users posting or commenting on some abusive or unhealthy stuff. For instance, if you have commented something on someone’s photo which is counted as an unacceptable social media behavior, then firstly it will lock your account, and then take some strict action against you.
Facebook made a mistake:
Unfortunately, sometimes even Facebook messes up and locks your Facebook account temporarily. Moreover, many people had to bear the consequences even if they were not guilty.
However, some people tried to recover their accounts through recovery codes but failed miserably, which then raised another concern among them, how to fix this glitch and unlock their Facebook accounts.
Well, take a chill pill and follow the guide mentioned below.
How to Unlock my temporarily locked Facebook account?
To unlock your temporarily locked Facebook account, you can submit one of the mentioned forms depending on your situation, which will help you in restoring your Facebook account in no time.
“Confirm your identity with Facebook” form:
With the help of this form, you can easily retrieve your locked Facebook account by proving to Facebook that you are the owner of the account.
So, if you want to fix this glitch using the “Confirm your identity with Facebook” form, then follow these simple steps:
- Go to the “Confirm your identity with Facebook Form.
- Now, you will be asked to attach/upload a photo of your identity, i.e., Driving license or Passport.
- Next, you will be asked to fill out your mobile number or email address that is linked with your account.
- After that click on the “Send” button to send the form.
- Now, wait for 1 to 5 business days, so that Facebook can get back to you.
Note: When you are submitting a photo of your Identity to Facebook, it can store your ID for up to a year. Although, Facebook won’t reveal it to anyone. Plus, you can always change it to “30 days”, via your identity confirmation settings.
“Report a login issue” form:
This is the second type of form which can be used by users who are unable to login into their accounts.
So, to start with;
- Go to the “Report a login issue” Form.
- After that, you will be asked to enter your active email address.
- Now, you will be asked to describe the issue that you are facing, inside the “Description of issue” field. For example: “Hello Facebook, this is to inform you that I have been locked out of my account by mistake, and therefore I need your assistance in unlocking it again.”
- Then upload a screenshot of the error, for better understanding.
- Finally, tap on the “Send” button.
- Now, wait for 1 to 5 business days, for Facebook to get back to you.
Security checks preventing login form:
This form can be used by those users who are unable to sign in to their account because they haven’t received any “Security Code” that would have to help them unlock their account.
Here is the step-by-step tutorial on how you can use this form:
- Go to the “Security checks preventing login” Form.
- Now enter your active email address, so that Facebook can contact you after a few days. Usually, it takes up to 1 to 5 business days.
- Then, describe the problem that you are facing by typing it into the “Description of issue” box. For example: “Hello Facebook! My Facebook account got locked by mistake and I am unable to receive any security code that will help to unlock it. Therefore, I need your assistance in doing so.”
- Now, attach a screenshot of the error if you wish to.
- Lastly, tap on the “Send” button.
Preventive measures that should be taken to avoid Facebook account temporarily locked error:
If you don’t want to face this problem in the future, then I recommend following these preventive measures which will help you to avoid this problem in the future.
- Use a strong password, so that no one can guess your password easily. Additionally, generate a strong and lengthy password by using the combination of Numbers, Uppercase/Lowercase Alphabets, and Special Characters.
- Verify your phone number, email address, and identity, to help Facebook in identifying the legitimacy of your account. Also, try to feed in some extra information like the name of your school and college.
- Abide by the terms and conditions set up by Facebook.
- Avoid Proxy Servers while using your Facebook account, as they are unknown to Facebook and can disturb its security network.
- Avoid using your Facebook account on more than one device, as it falls under the list of security threats.
- Allow your Facebook account to age, as it will help Facebook in identifying your account as a legitimate one.
Frequently Asked Questions on Facebook:
Is there a difference between an account ban and a lock?
Yes, there is a huge difference between both actions. For instance, if you are someone who has posted something on Facebook that violates its guidelines, then you are eligible to get banned from the platform.
But, if your account was compromised and Facebook detected unusual activity, then it will temporarily lock out your account for security purposes, which can be unlocked using the above-mentioned methods.
How long is Facebook’s temporary ban?
Usually, the ban lasts up to 24 to 48 hours. Moreover, as soon as you prove your authority over the account to Facebook by using the above-mentioned methods, Facebook will unlock it instantly.
Final Remarks on “Why is my Facebook account temporarily locked and how to unlock it?”
Although, there are times when Facebook temporarily locks out our account by mistake, which is kinda annoying. Therefore, to overcome this issue, I recommend following the above-mentioned solutions, which will help you gain access to your Facebook account again in no time.